Mentors (“contributors”) will serve as resources for MIT Sandbox participants by offering feedback on proposals (and funding recommendations to the executive director).
They will also provide expertise and support through…
- mentorship to individuals and to student teams;
- attendance at MIT Sandbox student presentations;
- forums on problems/areas of interest; andeducation on needs, opportunities and resources associated with their organizations.
MIT Sandbox has a policy on conflicts of interest. The policy addresses issues of actual and apparent conflict of interest that may arise in connection with the interaction of Contributors (or representatives, investors, members, or affiliates of Contributors, each, together with the Contributors, a “Contributor Party”) with MIT and MIT students through the Program. The policy provides, among other things for the following process in case a Contributor Party wishes to engage in discussions with a student about the possibility of investing in his or her entrepreneurial idea prior to that student graduating from MIT:
- The Contributor must disclose to MIT the interest in engaging in investment discussions with the student.
- If the student does not already have an independent venture mentor through the Program, MIT will appoint one for the student.
- If the student and the Contributor Party close on an investment, MIT will decide, based on a review of the facts and circumstances, whether or not the Contributor may remain active in the Sandbox.
- If MIT decides that the Contributor may remain active in the Program, the Contributor must thereafter recuse itself from any Program discussion or decision, including any Funding Board discussion, pertaining to that student enterprise.
- MIT will determine who is included as a Contributor Party with a Contributor.
The Policy will be promulgated before grants are first made available to students.
Becoming a Mentor
MIT Sandbox seeks to engage the expertise of local industrial and high-tech communities, global experts, and the MIT alumni community.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.